Thursday, February 19, 2009

"You got how many biscuits?!?!?"

If any of you went a little crazy with the biscuits (myself included) you may or may not have heard that from your husband. Mine can never resist the coupon comments, and now I am on a mission to prove him wrong! So, here's where you come in... I need ideas and recipes to use so that I can use all my biscuits before they expire.Here's what I tried last night for any of you looking to use yours up too.

Chicken Pot Pie
(adapted from pillsbury.com)
Crust:
1 Can of Biscuit Dough
Filling:
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
2 1/2 cups chicken
2 cups Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers frozen mixed veggies, or just peas, or whatever you have
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 F
2. Put 3 or 4 biscuit circles on the bottom of your pan ( I used a 6-7 in round baking dish) and spread them out so they are all touching or over lapping
Cook for 20 minutes
3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Stir in flour and seasonings. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.
4. Stir in chicken and vegatables. Remove from heat.
5. Put in baking dish and top with 3-4 more biscuit squares.
6. Bake 25-35 minutes, or until top is a pretty brown. (you may need to cover with foil for the last 15 minutes or so to prevent too much browning)


We had this last night and everyone liked it. I have never made a pot pie, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it was easy, quick and I used all ingredients that I had gotten for dang cheap or free. I think the whole meal cost me 50 cents!

Thanks everyone who commented on ideas...

I made the mini pizza's for lunch today for my kids and they were a hit! Just put some spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake them up! (I didn't time it, I just watched them closely)

Here's a recipe from all recipes for monkey bread. Can't wait to try this one!

INGREDIENTS
3 (10 oz) packages biscuit dough
3/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine
3/4 cup white sugar

DIRECTIONS
1. Mix together 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon
2. Quarter the biscuits with kitchen shears (dip shears in water after each cut to keep biscuits from getting too sticky). Dip biscuits into sugar mixture, and place in a greased tube pan.
3. Melt margarine and mix in 3/4 cup sugar. Pour over biscuits.
4. Bake in oven at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.


I'll try to add more as I find them!

17 comments:

Chandara Family said...

a couple days ago Rachael Ray made cheeseburger bread on her show, look up the recipe on rachaelray.com its pretty good and easy, i used the biscuit dough it worked great. Thanks for all your great tips, I'm still trying to figure everything out, hopefully I will be able to master this coupon system!

Dan and Emily Clark said...

We like to make a number of different things from biscuit dough--monkey bread, homemade doughnuts (just cut a hole in them and fry) or flatten the biscuits out for mini pizzas (great for lunch with the little ones). You can probably get a good recipe for the monkey bread on allrecipes.com.

The Hendricks ID said...

I definetely went too crazy on the biscuits I was trying to think of things yesterday, I didn't come up with a new recipe but you can make scones, or the same idea but do but make navaho tacos, or one thing we always have which I am sure you have thought of but it is really yummy is just Mcmuffins with bacon. Oh one more thing we made at scouts once, you just stretch them out a little and then spread spaghetti sauce on them and make little pizza's the kids can help and I was surprised how good they were. Anyway just a few easy things I have been thinking of to do with my biscuits I am going to look on the internet too.

alysia said...

Creamed Chicken and Biscuits

1/2 onion
1 1/2 tsp. butter
4 c. chicken, cooked and chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. milk
1 c. cheese, shredded
6 large biscuits

Heat oven to 350. Mix everything together except 3/4 c. cheese and biscuits. Put in bottom of a 11x7 (I used 13x9) baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Take out of oven, place biscuits on top of chicken mixture, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 20 more minutes.

Tiffani said...

I think it would be fun to have an "Iron Chef" couples contest with these biscuits. It would be a fun group date night.

MKB said...

Chicken crescents

1 8 oz can crescent dinner rolls
3 oz cream cheese
3 TB melted butter
1 TB milk
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
large dash of dill weed

Blend cheese, milk, and butter until smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Open rolls and lay 2 triangles together to make 1 square (these come out huge I make really small squares so I can get like 5 or 6 chicken crescents out of one can). Place mix in center of rolls and cover with other square. Seal edges with fork. Brush top with butter (I don't always do it. If I do I use 1 more TB of butter). Bake at 350 for 20-25 min.

MKB said...

Oh I was also going to say make potato soup or something like that and eat rolls with the soup...

The Ward Family said...

I love to make pizza pockets with them! You roll the dough out into squares. Put pizza sauce or spegetti sauce in it with some cheese and pepperoni put some more dough on top and press the edges around. Put it in the oven. I usually just put it in for whatever the biscuit can says. Just watch it! You could add other things in to make different meals.......like chicken and cheese! So yummy!

Carrian said...

Premade biscuits can actually be made into fry bread for Navajo Tacos, Donuts (you will want to use each layer as one donut if you got flaky biscuits) scones or elephant ears. All are fried, but they are different depending on how flat you make them etc. You can fill them with a dutch apple mixture, lemon curd or just do a chocolate ganache to dip the donuts in. I'll stop there, but I have a lot of savory ideas too if you want them.

Karen said...

You may already know that this works, but I have frozen the biscuit dough before and it works just fine to thaw it and use it. That way you can keep it a little longer.

Emily said...

***Don't forget there are box tops on these!!! We save & turn ours in to Tristin's school. They get .10 for each one, which adds up. Even if your little ones are not in school, save them and give them to a friend who has school aged kids and they can turn them in. Our elementary school has already earned over $ 700 dollars from these this year, and, hey, our schools can use all the help they can get!!

Prince Family said...

Mexican Bread
2 Cans of biscuits
1 cup salsa
1 can black beans
Shreaded Chicken (optional)
Shreaded Cheese
Sliced Olives

1. Cut biscuits into small chunks and place in a bowl.
2. Add salsa, beans, and chicken.
3. Mix
4. Place in a baking pan.
5. Bake at 350 for about 20 min. If it starts to brown fast put tin foil over the top.
6. When rolls are cooked add cheese and olives put back into oven until cheese is melted.

Serve while hot!

Sharee said...

We used ours for the buns of sloppy joes. You could also make pig in a blanket with a hot dog, or chicken and dumplings. Sandwiches would also be good.

Heather Wheeler said...

I made the Mexican Bread last night and it was a huge hit! Thanks! And Carrian could you email me some of your recipes they sound awesome!!

Emily said...

Alysia,

Thank you for your yummy recipe! I made it last night and thought I was in Heaven!!!


*** Last night I froze the biscuits & today I took them out and baked them to see how they cooked- they were perfect!! Start freezing those things!

alysia said...

Emily, you're welcome for the recipe. I'm glad you liked it...it's one of my faves...even before the biscuit sale :) How did you freeze the biscuits?...did you have to freeze them individually or did you just stick the whole can in the freezer? I was wondering if they'd explode if you did that...

Monica said...

Chicken And Vegetable Gravy Over Buscuits

1 Tube biscuits cook according to tube directions.

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 Cup milk

1 can chunk chicken, drained (from Costco)

1 can drained mixed vegetables or a bag of the Steamers frozen mixed

¼ teaspoon cajun seasoning
Pinch of salt and pepper
Pinch of garlic salt

Heat on med on stove. Serve over the biscuits.

Hope you like it. Thank to all for the other great ideas!