Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Low Down on WINCO

Before I became an Extreme Couponer (come on Webster, hurry up and make "coupon" a verb, would ya?), I spent $300-$400 per month at WinCo. I personally don't like shopping at Walmart, though I'm thankful for the good deals that I can sometimes find there. I always found that WinCo was cheaper for the things I needed anyway. Once I started to coupon I "broke up" with WinCo. I never thought that day would come, but it's the truth. Now that ALL WinCo locations are accepting internet printables I'm starting to venture back to my long lost love. The official policy of the local stores is "if it scans they'll accept it and if it doesn't scan they will not". Their registers automatically adjust down any coupons that exceed the item's value, so no overage. No other limits on coupons per transaction or anything silly like that.

I've spoken with the general managers of both Boise downtown and Meridian WinCos in the last few days in an effort to better understand their stores, their marketing- and I was hoping to get a heads up for any future promos or sales, (no such luck). I learned that WinCo spends no money on advertising, but passes all the savings on to the consumer. They believe (and so do I) that they are competing or beating the other stores prices consistently.
Here's a few prices I noticed when I was in last:
WinCo milk is always $1.98/gallon (for whole milk) or under
Silk Soy Milk (my favorite!) is $2.79, it's at least $3.19 everywhere else I've seen
They also had some really yummy Breyers "Pure Fruit" popsicles for $2.42

The area stores will largely have the same prices, but since each store may purchase its own items in large quantity to receive a discount sometimes one store will have a better price than another. (The first aisle when you enter WinCo is made up of these discount items) I asked one manager if price matching is in their future, and he didn't think so.
Since they have no print add, we'll have a harder time posting WinCo deals in advance, but they do operate on a Sunday-Sunday price schedule, and I'll be in their store once a week scouring for good deals. If anyone else sees one then let us know! WinCo is a simple store: they don't spend money on any frills, just run a clean business and keep prices low for customers.

Last: Trivia Question- first one to answer correctly gets all the glory and no prize.
What does WinCo Stand for?

25 comments:

Phelps Family said...

Isn't it an acronym for all the states it is in? Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon

Sandy said...

The acronym works but it was originally supposed to stand for "winning company".

Joanie Demer said...

Yea Sandy!
You're right. For years I thought it stood for the 5 states, but their website clearly states, "Winning company".

Heather Wheeler said...

Ah man! I was totally with "phelps family" on this one! Is it true they only have stores in those 5 states though?

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for posting this!!!! I am so excited to find out that they now accept internet printable coupons! I am going to have to be searching our Winco for deals as well. maybe is we get enough of us searching we will kind of make up our own ad and be able to coupon there as well. I'm off to look up the Winco coupon policy now so I go in there educated!

Lorena said...

Here are some of the things that I buy at WinCo that I can't buy anywhere else cheaper: bread, apples, bananas, canned soups, canned fruit, paper towels, cold cereal, and bulk items. There is no comparison with Wal-Mart or any other grocery store around. WinCo is cheaper! The only store that has taken some of my business from WinCo is Costco, but I still have to do my weekly trip to WinCo. And I'm really glad to hear they take the printable coupons now!

cynthea said...

Winco consistantly has a lot of lower prices. Cleaners are usually overpriced. The one on fairview is more rundown and most everyone loves the one on state because it is clean and well stocked. the meridian is good too.

cynthea said...

Items that are always a good deal

Macaroni and cheese 50 cents
milk 1.98
activia 2.00 ( they run out fast)
nutrigrain bars 2.00
cereals go on sale a lot more often for 1.50 a box
salad dressing
juice
and if you can use their store brand the canned and boxed goods are much cheaper.

They also give a credit if you bring your own bags.

Brittany Iverson said...

This was such a good post! I wish we had a Winco now!

pam said...

Thanks for the info. I live down in Mt. Home so I make a long list, so it will be nice to know what is on sale there thanks!

Her Lions Pride said...

Sandy dang it. She is right but the first name was Waremart Food Centers and Cub Foods until 1999 when it changed its storefront name and the corporate name to WinCo Foods, which stands for Winning Company.

TheTalkingTurtle said...

Winco on State Street has stopped giving credit if you bring your own shopping bags. Do all other Winco stores follow this same policy?

And, regarding print-your-own coupons, as long as it has a BAR CODE they will accept it. I asked why the signs posted in the store stated otherwise and got an eye roll from the cashier. :-)

Ladies, this is regarding the misuse of the word isle:
Isle is an island.
AIsle is in a grocery store.

Emilee Wolters said...

Oh YES! It is TRUE! I am new to couponing and got a little bumbed out a few months ago to find that they did not accept IPs. But I just called the Meridian store who confirmed that as long as it scans...this will help me so much!!

Thanks to all you KCLs who helped me score some sweet cereal this week...Saving money is kind of addicting!

Joanie Demer said...

Talking Turtle,
Thanks for the grammar check! Maybe I've been fantasizing about Isles too much. I'm correcting them now. Feel free to be my spell/grammar checker from now on; I could use one! Send your corrections to krazycouponlady@gmail.com so I can look like the smart one? :)

Julee said...

a cashier at the fairview store told me they no longer give the bag credit either.

michelle said...

I bought Half Gallon size Darigold Chocolate milk for $0.68. Regular price was $1.68 and then I use my $1 off printable. That's better then FM.

Jennifer said...

I confirmed with the state street winco that they WILL take printables as long as they scan. They took down their register signs they had up a few weeks ago. I used a couple this morning--no problem!

Melissa said...

I just called my winco to ask about the bag rebate and they said they are still doing it at our store. so I would call your stores and ask to talk to a manager and see what they say. they should still be giving it. I don't know why that would be a regional thing.

and I have an update from my winco on my blog as well for anyone that is interested. I talked with a manager about things for a while today.

andrea.roche said...

hahahaha Joanie. You're a class act. Even if your spelling of aisle lacks. hahahaha. ;)

Shannon said...

It stands for WASHINGTON, IDAHO, NEVADA, CALIFORNIA and OREGON.

Taekna said...

Thank you so much for posting this, I'm just starting to use coupons and was worried that WinCo didn't accept them. It's nice to know that the Meridan store accepts the internet ones. :)

magoonl said...

They may say "Winning Company" now, but we asked employees when the name first changed to WinCo from Cub Foods (they had paid royalties to another store to use the name) and the employees had been told that it was a state acronym.

Teresa Brown Rudd said...

Winco stands for Washington, IDaho, Nevada, California, and Oregon...

Sarah said...

I went to Winco here in WA state with my internet coupon in hand last week and they refused it. Can someone point me in the direction of the link for thier corporate coupon policy? Thanks!

extreme said...

waremart incorporated shortened