Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ono Hawaiian Cafe Review 4 out of 5 stars

We're pleased to unveil our first Restaurant.Com review of Boise's Ono Hawaiian Cafe. Please leave a comment and add your review if you've visited this restaurant. Thanks to our wonderful authors, Alysia and Tiffani and their husbands for writing this great review and thanks to the Ono for participating! Read more about how to get a $25 gift certificate at an amazing discount under our new "Restaurant Reviews" Tab.


“What a gem of a restaurant in Boise"

"I am unaware of any other restaurant in the Boise area that can provide this kind of experience. If you love Hawaiian food and culture, you will love Ono!”

“An awesome place to eat and take a break from your "same-old, same-old" franchise restaurants.”




Atmosphere: 4 out of 5 stars.

“Fun atmosphere. They have live dancers on Friday nights, which was fun. But, the dancer only danced in the room we weren't seated in, so we didn't get to see much dancing. The decor was very nice. Bathroom was in a bit of disrepair, but not many people see that I guess.”

“I like the music and dance performances. The chairs could have been more comfortable (could use some cushion).”

Family Friendly: 3 and a quarter stars:

“There isn't a lot of seating room in the restaurant, so if you're hoping to bring a car seat, you can't really plan on it fitting somewhere out of the way. And, the menu really didn't seem to have "kid friendly" options on it besides french fries. So, be sure that if you're taking your kids with you, they'll like Hawaiian food.”

“Lots of tables in a small area. Not a lot of room for highchairs or car seats.”

Service 4 and a quarter stars:

“The staff was nice...we always had our water topped off and they were nice, but there wasn't really anything extra-ordinary about it. So, I'd give it an average rating.”

“Friendly and attentive, beverages were always quickly filled when they were less than half-full.”

Food: 4 and a half stars

“The food at this restaurant is SOOO good. We tried the buffet, so we got a wide array of different things to try. The meat was seasoned well and very tender. My favorite was the Kalua pig (pulled pork).”

“Great menu. Lots of authentic choices. Not any "American food" substitues that I saw, but I appreciate that...if you're a Hawaiian restaurant, you should serve Hawaiian food, right?”

“If you love pulled pork, it's the best I've had.”

Price: 3 and a quarter stars

As far as rating the price, I had a hard time, because the buffet is very pricey...but obviously you get a lot of food (if you eat a lot :) Personally, I think I'd opt for a menu item, and spend not quite as much on dinner...and take home leftovers. I'd go for the Kanak Attack ($14), which has a variety of their 3 most popular menu items...Kalua Pig, Teriyaki Chicken, and my personal favorite, Grilled Teriyaki Steak and it comes with coconut rice as well. They even have the option of doing a Kanak Attack half-order for half the price...don't find that many places!

“Prices are comparable to most nice restaruants. Portions are more than enough to fill you up with some to take home.”

Overall:

“Overall, I give Ono four out of five stars. Dining at Ono is a unique experience. The pork and chicken are very tender and addictive - some of the best I have had! Our waitress was friendly and attentive to all of our wants. Upon request, she politely explained each item on the buffet. I was also impressed with the live music and Hawaiian dancing. I am unaware of any other restaurant in the Boise area that can provide this kind of experience. If you love Hawaiian food and culture, you will love Ono!”

“We had a great dining experience. However, I do think that the buffet dinner is priced too high at $21.00 per person.”

“What a gem of a restaurant in Boise...if you can find it. It is hidden back behind a tire store, so keep your eyes peeled. Definitely one of my top 3 restaurants in the area. I absolutely LOVE this place. Fine, it's not the best place to dine with kids, but that's all the better to have a date night out without them!”

“An awesome place to eat and take a break from your "same-old, same-old" franchise restaurants.”

MAUI WOWI

HAWAIIAN COFFEE'S AND SMOOTHIES

A separate vendor located inside the Ono Hawaiian Cafe.

Food: 4 stars

“The smoothies were good. They are more of an icey smoothie than creamy one. Very natural flavors. I liked it.” Ryan and Alysia

“Great taste and several varieties to choose from.” Paul and Tiffani

Price: 3 stars

“The smoothies were good, but pretty pricey.” Alysia and Ryan

“Think they are priced a little high, but maybe that's just me because I make my one smoothies at home.” Paul and Tiffani

Service: 4 and a quarter stars

“Very, very nice and friendly.” Alysia

“Very fast and accommodating.” Paul and Tiffani

Overview: Great smoothie, but you have to be willing to spend a little bit more.

Thanks to our authors Tiffani and Alysia for conducting a great review!

15 comments:

Tiffani said...

Thanks for the opportunity! We had a great double date.

Kara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kara said...

Just wanted to add that they do have a kids menu and booster chairs, etc. We took both our kids on a Saturday night and found them to be very accomodating. :)

Kaila said...

We have been to this place twice and have loved it both times. The food is always good and the service is great. We really hope more and more people go because we don't want them to go out of business.

Joanie Demer said...

I'd like to add my own personal review of The Ono. I haven't tried all the restaurants from Restaurant.com, but these guys are my favorite thus far! The food is absolutely 5 out of 5 stars. The pulled pork is amazing, the chicken, so moist, the kobe beef- delicious! The coconut infused rice and the stir-fried vegetables are the perfect compliment. My favorite appetizer is the pulled pork sliders. They're delicious! The service might not be lightning fast but it's very friendly. My favorite Server is Mik. He remembers my kids' names and last time I was in, brought me extra pineapple with my meal. I've never been to the Ono on a Friday night, but if you go during the week you can easily feed 4 adults and barely spend the minimum $35. Then your out of pocket is only around $10 (plus gratuity) and you can split that with the other couple that went to dinner with you. That's cheap! I love the Ono! It's cheaper than flying to Hawaii!

Bambi said...

Where is it located?

Joanie Demer said...

It's on Broadway in Boise.
2170 Broadway Ave Boise, ID 83706 - (208) 429-6800

bishwally said...

We LOVE this place! We used our restaurants.com discount and had NO problems at all! This is a special occasion place for us,great date night - not so much with kids. Wonderful food, and atmosphere!

bishwally said...

It's fine with kids...I just enjoyed it more without mine, the last time I went :)

Jessica said...

Thank you for this great review! After reading it I decided to buy my FIL a GC for his Bday from Restaurants.com Oh, how I wish I didn't live 5 hours away!

Sarah & Eric said...

We went to Ono Last night because we loved the reviews. We have to agree with them too. We loved it. We had Beef Satay's for the appetizer and it was SO SO SO SO good. I could have eaten a million of them. The food prices were great (menu, not buffet) and the Chocolate Eclair for dessert was exactly what my hubby wanted. It was so good. Great place, we'll definately be back. I've already bought another restaurant.com gift certificate for Ono!!!

sweet pea dee said...

We went as a family and they were great with the kids..

Sarah R said...

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! We were in Maui, Hawaii 1 month ago and LOVED the food, and this place is definitely authentic and brought us right back to the sandy shores! Mmmmmmmmmm. We also used our Restaurant.com Certificate and had absolutely no problems.

Kristi M. said...

I just had to write a review on a different perspective. I am one of the dancers that frequents there on Friday nights. There are two different dance groups that do it. One is strictly hawaiian influenced (the one that I am in) the other is polynesian in general (could be samoan, tongan, etc). Our group always makes sure that we dance or have two dancers for both sides. We never leave a side out. So it really depends on what Friday you come. I can also assure you that their food is extremely authentic as the owner and managers are straight from the islands. Their desserts are fantastic. They are all created by Chocolate Bluebird Bakery in Nampa. He is also hawaiian and makes the yummiest stuff. They also have a catering side called Kanak Attack. You can have it big or small, with or without dancers. For weddings, birthdays, graduation parties, retirement parties, just because. They do them all. The Ono spirit is all about the yummy food and great atmosphere.

william said...

I went with my husband 1 year old and a couple with their two kids. The only thing I had a hard time with was the wait before the food came, because it smelled so great in their that I wanted to bottle it up and bring it home. Once the food came to the table it was great though. I also love the fact I have 3 blocks to walk in order to reach the front door.