Monday, June 1, 2009

10 Days to Become a KCL {Day 3}

{How.. and When... to Use Coupons to get a Krazy Good Deal}


So- I question that I get ALL THE TIME goes something like this:

"I always try to clip the coupons from my (one) Sunday paper- and then I go do my regular shopping and it's cheaper to just buy the generic of the coupon that I have!"

I used to think the same thing. Every other week, I would remember to clip my coupons and then I would take them to the store, hunt down the right product and size, and then do some math in my head and decide it's cheaper to buy the Walmart Generic. So I would grab the Walmart Generic and Toss the Coupon...

So sad.

The Big "Secret" is MATCHING COUPONS WITH AWESOME SALES and PROMOS!
For example- If I go to Walmart to use my $1 off 5 Campbell's Cream of Chicken Coupons, it will end up being cheaper to just buy generic.
BUT, if you use the coupon when they are at a rock bottom price- or if you match it with a promotion Albertson's is having- Viola! Cheap Soup!

Another "Secret" is DOUBLE DAYS!
K-Mart Doubles about once a month, and Albertson's puts out double coupons.
When a store doubles a coupons, they will match the price of your coupon- for example if you have a coupon for $1 off- they will take another $1 off!
Restrictions usually apply, as to how many coupons you can double, ect.

Oh- and Don't forget my favorite Couponing "Secret"- Stacking!!

Stacking simply means using 1 Manufacturer Coupon and 1 Store Coupon on 1 Item!!
Target, Albertson's and Walgreens all have store coupons and allow them to be stacked with a manufacturer coupon!

So, this is where KCL comes in... Use and abuse us to find all the deals and where they are. Most stores operate on a Sunday-Saturday Sale Cycle... So we will post a big match up for each store at the beginning of the week. Albertson's is on a Wednesday-Tuesday Sale Cycle and we usually have a match up preview on Tuesday.


Also, it will take a little while for you newbies to figure out when something is a good deal. When I first started couponing, I found toothpaste for $1/tube and I thought I scored- so of course, I bought like 20 of them. Then as time went on, I realized that you can get free toothpaste all the time! So, be willing to overpay ($1 for toothpaste is really cheap for all our non-couponing friends- so don't feel too bad!)- and if it helps, start making a list like this one!

Are you feeling ready to rock the grocery stores yet?
Check back tomorrow for Day 4- The Coupon Dictionary...

4 comments:

Rachel Williams said...

I didn't know I could stack coupons!!! man, I've been doing everything wrong!

savingwithsteph said...

I love this post. It reminds me how how I was buying dozens of toothpaste and Listerine when I started!

http://savingwithsteph.com

Linds said...

Thanks for these tips and all the work you put into your blog! I'm definately becoming "krazy" when it comes to coupons...I even had a dream last night that I was in the grocery store freaking out because I forgot my coupon binder!

Kymber said...

Thanks for posting these steps...and your whole blog. It is helping me so much. I'm still new at this...but I've learned so much just following your hints/ideas/suggestions. I'm working on building up my coupon stash. Hubby thinks I've flipped and my son laughs and now calls me KCL!!