Sunday, May 24, 2009

Snap Back to Reality

(first person who can finish the lyrics to this eminem song (just 1 line will do)- gets 3 inserts from 5/17)

My husband and I just got back from a weekend getaway- to celebrate our 5 year anniversary! It was excellent!! I loved a couple days away from real life, kids, computers, coupons, and dishes! I am happy to be back though, I missed KCL! Also, I see that I missed a very lively discussion about coupon ethics and double coupons and I thought I would weigh in.

First of all, I live in Emmett. There is 1 Albertson's in Emmett, and it's really the only grocery store in town. (There is a Family Dollar, Dollar Tree and Kings) With that being said, I can't split my transactions between 3 different stores. I do all of my Albertson's transactions at this location. Because there is only 1 Albertson's to shop at, I am very careful to keep my checkers happy. When you only have 1 location you frequent, you get to know all the checkers very well. I know who gets stressed out by even 1 coupon, who loves to watch the savings, who doesn't mind doing a few transactions in a row- and so forth.

I usually go to Albertson's with my doublers at 10 or 11 pm and I do 2 or 3 transactions in a row. I only put up 1 transaction on the belt at a time (in case someone gets in line behind me), and sometimes I go to my car and then come back in.

I am not a shelf clearer, but like Joanie, if there are only 3 items left on the shelf and I need three, I take them.

I also love to take advantage of special ordering.
If your Albertson's won't allow you to, I would find a Albertson's store who will.
Recently I ordered 80 CHINET COUPONS on ebay,
and special ordered 80 packages of chinet plates.
Easy as Pie.

If I ever go to Albertson's with Double Coupons at peak hours, I only do one transaction at a time.

My Mantra- Shop Early and Shop Often...

Listen Ladies, it's not worth any of our time, energy or brain power to get upset at other couponers. All we can do is follow the rules ourselves, offer our opinion to newbies and hope they do the same. There will always be couponers who don't think about other people, who buy 15 hefty bags in one visit and who frustrate our checkers. Just make up for their bad behavior with your good behavior. And remember, We have all made Rookie Mistakes. I remember when I first started couponing I didn't even think about shopping at off peak hours. In fact I remember being at Albertsons at like 5:00 pm with a cart FULL of stuff, and coupons to go with each item. THAT'S LIKE COUPON SIN #1. But I didn't even realize this was rude. There is a learning curve to this.. Let's all try to be patient while others are learning the ropes.

Last thing- thanks to all of you who are willing to have an ethical debate-
while staying positive and treating each other nicely and with respect.
We have a great communtiy of women (and men) here at KCL,
and I hope it continues to be a place to vent, get ideas and make friends.
Thanks Ladies!!

Any last thoughts? Did I miss anything? Do you all hate me for doing 3 transactions in a row?!?

12 comments:

Sarah & Eric said...

"Oh there goes gravity" Eminems song Lose yourself!!

Kara said...

I'm fairly new to couponing and I'm so glad I stumbled across your site,it's great. Congrats on 5 years to you and your husband.

The eminem lyrics are-
Snap back to reality, Oh there goes gravity
Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked
He's so mad, but he won't give up that easy

Ha ha! I can't believe I actually rememeber that.

Heather Wheeler said...

Nice Job Ladies!! Both of you- send me your address to krazycouponlady@gmail.com and I'll hook you up! I am very impressed!

Brittany said...

Dang, I was too slow!

cmc said...

my question when one preorders say 80 hefty paper products will albertsons let you use all 80 double coupons at the time of (one) purchase?

VINTAGE said...

My question is, how in the world do you get 80 doublers? I also wanted to comment on the talk of couponers. I do believe that there is a learning curve and it does take time to get used to it. As I have been learning I have learned to go early, but it is extremely frustrating when you do go and they are cleared out. I know everyone needs good deals, but when the person directly in front of you takes all the Skintimate's at Walgreens and you specifically ask if there are any more and they won't give you even one (because you may need it) it is extremely disappointing. I do couponing to survive, perhaps others should be just as considerate. Thank you for your site. I love coming here throughout the week even though I am in Idaho Falls.

Niki said...

Vintage...you're not the only one in IF! I am also frustrated by hoarders here and am at a disadvantage because I work both out of the home and in the home! It's like 2 full time jobs and I have to do deals at my lunch and after work. Broadway Albertsons is the BEST store, but the worst for haorders...sometimes it's unbelievable. But...like I've read on sites (maybe this one!) try to remember there's ALWAYS another deal out there waiting to be had.

Joanie Demer said...

Hey everybody, I think I can answer for Heather since she hasn't had a chance yet. She ordered 80 CHINET coupons, not Hefty. She's not planning to use any doublers in conjunction with them. They are $2 off coupons, so she couldn't double them even if she wanted to. She's buying Chinet for herself (she doesn't have a dishwasher, so disposable plates are a luxury for her family) and her parents.
I don't know how you'd get 80 doublers and I wouldn't think any of us would ever try to use that many.

Heather Wheeler said...

Ha ha! Thanks Joanie! They were Chinet Coupons and I did not use doublers!

cmc said...

Hi-coupons that specifically say Do not double or not subject to doubling will albertsons double these? Has anyone tried? The reason I ask is the store only gets reimbursed for the actual face value of the coupon plus the handling fee say 8 cents. the store then writes off the 2nd value or the double coupon for advertising. So I can't figure out why the manufacture of the coupon would care whether or not it has bee doubled. thanks

Joanie Demer said...

CMC,
FANTASTIC question! You are absolutely right about coupons that say "do not double". It shouldn't make a flip of difference to Albertsons because they're not being reimbursed for the coupon twice. "Do not double" must be meant for the stores that double all the time or that maybe have something worked out with the manufacturer. I don't really know why they say "do not double", but I do know that Albies should care whether or not it does. That said, I've had cashiers often (maybe over half the time) decline to allow me to use a doubler on a coupon that says "do not double". I'll tell them and their manager why I think they should take them, but usually they stick to their guns and decline to double it.
This is a topic that I've been wondering about myself, so I'm going to get on it and investigate for us!

cmc said...

Heather-you are correct. There aren't very many items out there that if I miss the sale one week that won't be offered again in a few weeks or heck maybe even clearanced out-cheaper yet. Shaving cream, shampoo, lotions, toothpaste, toothbrushes,cereal. Keep smiling. See all of you in the store aisles, coupons in hand.