Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Catalina Coupons Bare All: The good, the bad and the ugly!

Here is a copy of the catalina I received from the Albertsons GM Promo today. We've been receiveing many comments and emails from some of you having trouble. Here's some Catalina info that might help you. If you've still got questions, leave a comment and we'll get everything sorted out!

Catalina Marketing Company operates the check-out coupon machines at Albertsons and many other stores. The coupons themselves are called Catalinas. Because these machines are not owned by the stores, many managers and employees are not as educated as they should be on Catalina Policy. Here's some rules that will hopefully help you next time you're participating in a Catalina Promotion:


  1. THE GOOD- Minimum purchase means before coupons and tax: When a store runs a gimmick like Spend $25 on participating products and receive a $10 catalina of your next shopping order, the $25 total must ONLY be reached BEFORE coupons and tax. If your pre-total is $24.99, it won't work. But if your total is $25 or above and then you present ex. $10 worth of coupons, you are still entitled to your catalina.
  2. THE BAD- Don't buy the wrong product or size: Make sure you grab a copy of the store ad as you enter because you MUST BUY THE RIGHT SIZES OF PARTICIPATING PRODUCTS. Usually in the aisles the correct size items will have a hanging tag, indicating that they are part of the promo. Example: This week the Cheerios are part of the GM promo, but only the $2 box (8.9oz). There is a larger box on sale 2/$6, but it is not a listed participating product. If you buy the wrong box of Cheerios, the catalina won't print.
  3. THE UGLY- What to do if your Catalina doesn't print: Ask for a manager to come review your receipt. They should be curteous and many times after review of your purchase, will deem the catalina machine disfunctional and will override to give you the catalina you deserve!
Rolling Catalinas: Rolling catalinas refers to breaking up your transactions in order to maximize savings. This week at Albertsons, if you plan to buy $75 worth of participating products, you'll want to do 3 transactions. When you do one transaction, only one $10 catalina will print. If you separate your transactions, you will get a $10 catalina for each $25 purchase. You can "ROLL" the $10 off, from your first purchase, onto the next purchase and so on. . .

Here's this week's Albertsons ad. It clearly states that you should receive a $10 catalina for every $25 {pre coupons and tax} spent. Those of you writing in about receiving a $5 catalina, should be speaking with management and getting an override and the correct Catalina.

Want to read about my trip to Albies this morning where I did a SIMPLE trip, with only printable coupons? The perfect transaction for a newbie or coupon virgin:

20 comments:

Shelly_rue said...

http://coupons2.smartsource.com/smartsource/index.jsp?Link=5S2ZUA6PWPEPO

When I try printing from here it says it's printing and then just gives me a blank paper back.
What do I do?

lgoers said...

Shelly - put ink in your printer...

Just kidding, I couldn't help myself.

Joanie Demer said...

Shelly, Check this out
http://coupons.smartsource.com/mnmedia/BottomNavs/Troubleshooting.html

Hope that helps!

Camille said...

I just wanted to say thank you for such an awesome web site! I am just getting started with my couponing and Im loving the Krazyness!! My Husband and I are Trying to get out of debt and this is going to help a ton! I look forward to all of your advise! thanks for being my insperation!!

Me again said...

This morning they didn't have a couple of items I wanted and so had to change my list around a bit.

then I was only paying attention to the total at the self check out and forgot about taking tax into account.

when my $10 catalina didn't print out, my super awesome cashier worked some magic and fixed it so I could add one more item to my order.

If you make a mistake ask for help!

I've even gotten a deal wrong and went over to customer service where they returned everything, and then allowed me to fix my mistake so I would get correct catalinas.

One piece of advice though. If your new to this, go at a time when there are not a lot of people shopping with you. the cashiers and customer service people will have more time to help.

Shelly_rue said...

Joanie Demer http://coupons.smartsource.com/mnmedia
is what I copied and pasted from what you tryped and it say HTTP 403 Forbidden
My computer wont even pull that site up is that web address missing something.

Shelly_rue said...

lgoers
LOL that was great Made me think of the blonde joke about white out all over the computer screen :)
Thanks I Needed it:)

Joanie Demer said...

Shelly,
make sure you paste in the entire link. What you wrote was only part of it.

Taylor and Heidi Moore said...

So can you mix and match coupons? LIke if you are able to print multiple coupons for the all detergent or cereal coupons if you don't want frosting for instance? will albertsons except two coupons for two of the same product?

Wardleclan said...

Today was awesome! I spent $47.68 all togeter (4 seperate transactions) and $10 was on produce... and saved $128.48 all together! One time the cataline printed out a $5 cataline instead onf a $10 but the cashier just rang it in twice and all was well! Love days that start out like this! I am sad that I didn't use the IP instead of mine from the paper b/c I had $1/3 one the cereal! Oh well it was steal a Krazy deal!

Shelly_rue said...

Joanie Demer
I did finial figure it out the rest of the web address was hidding from me. But I still can't get it to work so oh well. But thank you for they help.

Keri Lyn @ She Saved said...

Shelly, sometimes mine will "magically" work if I clear my browsing history using internet tools (in your control panel) ... when all else fails, I have done that, restarted the computer and things are back to good!

Modern Day Mom said...

If you have a coupon for each of your items you are purchasing, will you still be able to use a Catalina to pay down your total? I am curious because I know at Walgreens there are problems when you have three items and three coupons using a Catalina... usually you have to get a cheap filler item to get them to accept your Catalina. Thanks

Joanie Demer said...

MDM,
I've not had a problem using a catalina when I'm purchasing equal number of items and coupons.
A Catalina is a manufacturer coupon though, so you might run in to trouble if they tell you not to use more than one manufacturer coupon per item.
In all my rolling catalina days I've never had a problem yet.

Brooke said...

Wow! Thanks so much! Just went to the store, it's 11pm but wanted to go without kids and when there wouldn't be very many people there because it was my first time. I spent $31.00 (Saved about $44) on two different transactions. It was so awesome!!

The Desatoff Family said...

I just got back from Albertson's here in Southern Utah and I did 2 $25 transactions for the promo and on the second one, only a $5 catalina printed. I talked to customer service and they said it happened because this promo is limited to 1 per household, but it doesn't say that in the ad. Did anyone else have this problem? I was able to have the cashier ring it twice, but she made it sound like she was breaking the rules by doing that!

Thanks for all the coupon help! I walked out with $114.58 of groceries for $26.85! (2 transactions)

Soledad said...

to Desatoff Family, just make sure you get what youre supposed to by talkig to the manager, be polite about it, i think cashiers are really tired and dont want the extra work of scanning coupons for us ladies who need to use coupons...I have this problem at the 'fancy' Alberstons in my area, I guess they like dealing with rich people dont never touch coupons.

cmc said...

soledad-so where is this fancy albertsons?-ha!

Michelle said...

So dont think Im dumb but I dont get the albertsons sale with the cereal. I just dont see how the TOTAL cereal turns out to be 20 cents when its on sale for a dollar and then you have a coupon for a dollar off.. wouldnt that make it 10 dollars? Im new, obviously!

rattriffic said...

if you spend 20.00-24.99 you will get a 5 dollar catalina spend another 5 dollars and you get the full ten:-)