As we delve deeper into the world of coupons, we run into more and more
There is plenty of money to be saved and a plethora of deals to be had, all without crossing the line or being a dishonest couponer. No one wants to compromise their integrity all for an extra $0.50 off a bottle of dishsoap!
The purpose of this post is to make you aware of some of the gray areas and allow you to hear each others' opinions on these topics.
- Buying Coupons Online: Technical illegal to sell and "void if transferred", but WIDELY held to be acceptable.
My Opinion: I buy coupons online often.
- Peelie Stealer: Taking a peelie for your binder? Taking a peelie off one sized product to use on a smaller size product (still allowed by coupon)?
My Opinion: I use peelies on smaller size of same product.
- Returning Items purchased with coupons: What if you buy 4 deodorants for your husband and you take them home and he hates them. What to do with the other 3? Is it okay to return items purchased with coupons?
My Opinion: NEVER okay to buy with intent to return. If you have a legitimate reason to make a return, I'm not so sure. I returned items purchased with coupons when I was new, but now I try to buy carefully so as not to ever have to return items. My opinion is there are still exceptions: I had a case of All laundry detergent purchased with coupons and I just got a new washer/dryer that requires high efficiency detergent. I took my unopened detergent to the store and did a return/exchange for the different variety of detergent. The bottom line is, once you purchase an item and use a coupon- the store submits the coupon and the reimbursement process begins. If you take your receipt to return the item, they can clearly see you paid with a coupon, but they can't give you the coupon back- so that coupons becomes as good as cash.
My opinion: Purchasing with intent to return= fraud. Otherwise, if you have to make a return, tell the store you purchased with coupon and let them sort out how they want to refund you.
- Using Expired Coupons: This one has some gray within gray, how expired is it? I am sure I have used a coupon without realizing it's expired, but it's not something I will ever knowingly do.
My Opinion: Bad, don't do it!
- BarCode Decoding: Learning how a cash register reads a coupon in order to sneak coupons past the register by using them for products for which they were not intended. There is value in learning about barcodes as long as your knowledge is used correctly. Decoders justify their actions by insisting the stores will be reimbursed anyway.
My opinion: BLACK- this is not okay!
- Photocopying Coupons: Actually an easy mistake for a new or uneducated coupon lady, but this is illegal!
My opinion: BLACK- Don't do it!
- Making and selling fraudulent Coupons: Have a nice life- in jail!
Have an opinion or another gray area to discuss, like tearpads, etc? Leave a comment. Please keep comments & responses toward each other respectful.