Monday, August 10, 2009

Krazy in the Kitchen: Cooking with Ragu

How many bottles of $0.34 Ragu did you buy? I'm still very well stocked with Ragu and it's such a handy thing to have around dinner time! My favorite thing to make with the Ragu is Lasagna and Heather's favorite is easy English Muffin pizzas for lunch. I'm also including a few others that looked yummy! You can still get Ragu for $0.54 per jar at Albertsons until tomorrow. Use this coupon: $.60/2 - Ragu - (makinglifebetter.com).



QUICK AND EASY LASAGNA

(I used to make lasagna the old fashioned way with ricotta and lots of spices, then I found my family prefers this recipe that I can make in 15 minutes.)


Brown Hamburger and half a chopped onion
Pour in one jar of Ragu sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste

Layer, the meat sauce, lasagna noodles (cooked or no-boil) and mozzorella and cheddar mix. I usually make 3 layers. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


ENGLISH MUFFIN PIZZA

1 English muffin
A handful (about 1/3 cup) of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 sliced tomato or 2 Tablespoons of tomato/pizza sauce
Pepperoni or other toppings (optional)

After slicing the English muffin, next place the tomatoes or sauce and then the mozzarella cheese on each half of the English muffin.
Top your 'pizza' with a few pepperoni slices or other favorite pizza toppings.
Place your completed 'pizza' on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet in an oven preheated to 350 F or in a toaster oven.
Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how crispy your child likes his pizza, or until the cheese is a golden brown color.
thanks thisweekfordinner and about.com.

EASY BAKED MANICOTTI
from Kraft Foods
(6 servings, 2 manicotti each)

2 cups of your favorite spaghetti sauce, divided
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups Ricotta Cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup pesto
12 manicotti shells, cooked, rinsed in cold water

Preheat oven to 350. Spread 3/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce on bottom of 9x13 dish. Mix egg, cheeses and pesto until well blended. Spoon cheese mixture into large ziploc bag. Snip off a small bit of one of the bottom corners of the bag.
thanks DinnersOnMe!




CHICKEN CACCIATORE

2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 lbs. chicken legs and thighs
1 jar (1 lb. 10 oz.) Ragu® Chunky Pasta Sauce

Directions

1. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat and brown chicken.
2. Stir in Pasta Sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 45 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
3. Serve, if desired, with crusty Italian bread or hot cooked pasta served with additional Ragu® Chunky Pasta Sauce.

6 comments:

Maven of Savin' said...

I LOVE how you tie the recipes with all the items we are stocking cheap!! I always forget all the things I can do with Ragu - other than dump over pasta!!

Becky said...

I love these! Seeing as how we all have about 15 jars of Ragu to use up...these are great.

Kimberly said...

Great recipes!

Becky~ ONLY 15 jars? I've got at least 45...LOL What can I say...it was a great sale ;)

andrea said...

Re: the lasagne---looks really good! You don't have to use the no-boil noddles to make no-boil lasagne, if you use at least four cups of heated sauce, start and end with sauce, and cover the pan tightly with foil that you tent up a little in the middle. Any kind of lasagne noodle should work with this method.

Carol said...

It seems like the last half of the recipe is missing from the easy baked manicotti. How long do you cook it for? Thanks!

Cris said...

I love these recipes! You know, I wonder if I can pre-make those english muffin mini-pizza's and freeze them. I think I'll test a couple out and see how they turn out. Thanks for the great ideas!