Tuesday, September 8, 2009

FREE (and Cheap) General Mills Cereal at Target


I was perusing A Full Cup this morning, and saw a post about how to get free cereal at Target using Walgreen's ad to price match, target store coupons and manufacturer coupons. Hello Perfect Storm!

Here's the low down:

Walgreens Ad has General Mills Cereals (11.5 to 14 oz) on sale for $1.99/box (limit 4)
Take the Wag's Ad to Target's Customer Service and let them know you need the price adjusted.
Once they adjust the price, Hand them
1. Manufacturer coupon
2. Target Store Coupon

Here's where it gets tricky. Some Targets will allow you to price match any cereal within the size restrictions listed on the Walgreen's ad. Other Target stores will only honor the price match for the cereals pictured in the ad. In this case: Cheerios, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, or Lucky Charms.

Lucky Charms Price Matched to $1.99
$1.00/2 (IE) – General Mills – (bricks.coupons.com)
$1.00/2 (FF) – General Mills – (bricks.coupons.com)
$1.00/1 - General Mills Cereal- TARGET ex.9/12 - (afullcup.com)
Final Price: $0.49

Cheerios Price Matched to $1.99
$1.00/2 - Cheerios, Multiple Varieties - (coupons.com)
$1.00/1 - General Mills Cereal- TARGET ex.9/12 - (afullcup.com)
Final Price: $0.49

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Price Matched to $1.99
$0.55/1 - Cinnamon Toast Crunch - (coupons.com)
$1.00/1 - General Mills Cereal- TARGET ex.9/12 - (afullcup.com)
Final Price: $0.44

Other Cereals to try:

Trix Price Matched to $1.99
$1.00/2 (IE) – General Mills – (bricks.coupons.com)
$1.00/2 (FF) – General Mills – (bricks.coupons.com)
$1.00/1 - General Mills Cereal- TARGET ex.9/12 - (afullcup.com)
Final Price: $0.49

Cocoa Puffs Price Matched to $1.99
$1.00/1 - Cocoa Puffs Cereal - (boxtops4education.com)
$1.00/1 - Cocoa Puffs Cereal - (pillsbury.com)
$1.00/1 - General Mills Cereal- TARGET ex.9/12 - (afullcup.com)
Final Price: FREE

Other coupons to use:
$1.00/2 - General Mills - (coupons.com)
$1.00/2 - General Mills - (boxtops4education.com)
$1.00/2 - General Mills - (pillsbury.com)

15 comments:

Tracy C said...

Heather, I'm confused. The "summary" of the Target policy you posted says they will NOT price match. Am I missing something?

Andrea said...

Here is a link for $1.50 for Kashi Honey Sunshine.

http://www.kashi.com/connect/objections?utm_medium=email&utm_source=no_dm&utm_campaign=wom9&utm_content=9_8

Andrea said...

Target just started price matching in July. They had done some test cities before but it is now nation wide. I am going to try it tomorrow with DVDs at Target. Toys R Us add says B1G1 50% off so I am going to try it and see what happens. I will let you know what happens.

joligirl123 said...

I know I swore off Target, but I'd like to try this. lol I'm a little confused though. We should buy the cereal in a regular checkout lane, and take receipt/Wags ad/coupons to customer service for the adjustment? Or just take the whole thing up to customer service to purchase at once? Thanks :-)

LKBishop said...

Has anyone had trouble at Target when they scan your purchase as multiples ie: 5@1.57 and you have
.40 coupon for the 5 items and the coupon won't credit? Thanks

LKBishop said...

Has anyone had trouble at Target when they scan your purchase as multiples ie: 5@1.57 and you have
.40 coupon for the 5 items and the coupon won't credit? Thanks

Kris said...

If you're going to try out the price matching idea at Target, you might want to print out this press release from Target's website, which clearly states their ability to price match.

http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/value/our-low-price-promise-facts.aspx

:: melissa :: said...

Can you explain the Lucky Charms deal?? I have this...

1.99 per box= 3.98
-1/2
-1/1
equals
1.98 for two boxes... how did you come up with .49 a box???

Kristan Anne said...

According to the link that Kris posted (thanks!), you have to pay regular prices at the check out lane and then go to Guest Services for your discount. It also lists the exclusions and says "Coupons". I wish they were a little more specific.

I'm thinking that I'll pay the Target price at check out, use my coupons at check out, then go to Guest Services with my receipt and Wags ad to get my refund. It will still work out to be the same price after the refund.

Kristan Anne said...

Melissa has a point. I've always understood that you can only use 1 like Target Q per per transaction...

Kris said...

Melissa: if you use 2 of the $1/1 Target coupons for General Mills cereals it works out to be $.49/box.

Kristan Anne: the "coupons" exclusion, I believe, means they don't honor other store's coupons.

Andrea said...

Today I did the price match and the CSR told me if you have a larger order with price match come and do the transaction at Customer Service.

I tried to get a price match on cereal bought and they couldn't do it due to all the coupons I used. I am going to try to pay at customer service and try to price match and see if it will work. They can always adjust down coupons at that point.

FYI, Kmart has GM Cereal for $1.88.

I also price matched Combos--they are $1 at Kroger. (I bought these last week.)

FYI again you can not do B1G1 free it has to be a specific price.

Leslie said...

I just got back from Target trying the "price match" on GM Cereal's with Walgreens ad. It didn't work! I talked with Brad (at the Nampa location) and he said Target will ONLY price match an item from a competitor ad IF the product is NOT listed with a "limit quantity" or a "discount card" price - meaning Alb's preferred savings card. Also, I was told any price match had to be done through the CUSTOMER SERVICE counter, so be sure not to waste your time standing in a regular register lines.

Andrea said...

Today I went to Target armed with LOTS of coupons. Here is what I go and how much I paid:
35 Fiber One Cereals
1 Cheerios Cereal
10 Fiber One Bars
Scrabble Jr
Monopoly Jr
Jenga
Scrabble Slam
Clue Jr Carnival
Leap Frog Frig Farm
30 Cheese Sticks
1 Pineapple

Total $286.26
Coupons Used: $256.90
Total Paid: $29.36
Gift Cards Rewards: $45

So bottom line I made $15.64 and bought tons of stuff! I will be heading to the Food Bank with lots of cereal.

Andrea said...

Oops forgot to say I did a price match for the cereal from KMart ($1.88)