Monday, September 14, 2009

Walmart 101: How the Krazy Coupon Lady Shops Walmart

Walmart definitely has it's ups and downs when shopping with coupons. In an effort to really help you learn about getting krazy at Walmart, the following information is not sugar coated. Depending on your area, you may love or hate Walmart. I have Walmart stores in my area that I choose not to shop at, and I have Walmart stores I shop at occasionally. Deciding if Walmart is worth your time, will be entirely up to you. I hope your local Walmart treats you well!


First things first, Learn, Print and Carry the Walmart Coupon Policy with you!


Secrets to Success at Walmart

Shopping at Walmart is pretty simple. It's all about combining a "Roll Back" (or sale) Price with a coupon. We try to provide weekly matchups with sales and coupons- but Walmart doesn't always put out weekly ads. They do not run gift card promotions and they do not have a Catalina or Register Reward program.
Here is what they will do:

Walmart Will Price Match a Competitor Ad. Just bring the ad in, and let your cashier know that you will be price matching before they ring it up. No need to go to customer service for this, the checker can do it right from the check stand. They will not price match for a "gimmick" sale- like spend $25, Save $5 Instantly- nor will they match a price based on a rain check. I have never had a problem matching a competitor price, when following these guidelines.

Walmart Will Accept Competitor Coupons. As long as it matches the item requirement for size, brand and product. I have had limited success with Walmart actually accepting competitor coupons. I have had store managers and corporate assure me that this is their policy. When using a competitor coupon on an item, you can not also use a manufacturer coupon. I have problems with checkers accepting competitor coupons. If you have a problem with this, politely pull out your policy and ask for a manager. Hopefully this will clear up any issues.

Walmart Will often give you trouble for "limit 1 coupon per purchase". I hate to say it, but I have to prepare you! I can not count the times on my fingers and toes that I have had to explain what "Limit 1 Coupon per Purchase" means to the cashiers, shift managers, assistant managers and store managers. So here is the lesson: Limit 1 Coupon per Purchase means Limit 1 Coupon PER ITEM PURCHASED! If you have 5 Bottles of Shampoo that is 5 purchases. The coupon is telling you, that you can not use 2 coupons on 1 item. Purchase is not the same as transaction!

FAQs

Q. Does Walmart Give Overage?


A. Say I have a coupon for $1/1 and the item rings up at $.97
Here's what happens:
  1. Cashier scans item
  2. Cashier scans coupon
  3. Register beeps with prompt on the screen for cashier "Correct coupon amount?"
  4. Cashier can hit the "Yes" button and register will give overage OR cashier can enter the price of the item .97c OR he/she can get all flustered and decide that you can not use the coupon because its beeping and they don't know what that means...in this case ask for a STORE manager to assist.
Q. Does Walmart accept internet printable coupons?

A. Wal-Mart Stores can accept coupons that are available on the internet for customers to print from their home computers. The following are guidelines for the stores for accepting internet coupons:
- The coupon should be legible and say "Manufacturer Coupon". There should be a valid remit address for the manufacturer, to ensure the coupon can be processed for payment.
- The coupon should have a scan-able bar code.
- The coupon should have an expiration date.
- The coupon cannot be a photocopy.
- The limit is one coupon per item, per customer. (this means per ITEM, not transaction- this is trying to say you can not use 2 coupons on 1 item)
- A Salaried Manager can refuse to accept a coupon if it does not meet any or all of these guidelines.

Thanks to HCW for the FAQ's!

14 comments:

Lindsey said...

I had a cashier at Walmart tell me they cannot take printed coupons if they do not have color on them. So, if you print in B & W, they wouldn't be accepted. Has anyone ever heard of this?

The Skinner Family said...

Yes, there are two Walmart's close to me and one will only take IP's in color and the other one does not care if they are B&W. I called corporate about it and they said it can be left up to the managers of individual stores.

HanksFam said...

A cashier at the Walmart in Hurricane, Utah just told me that they will not price match on "fresh value" prices...meaning if we have to use our "card" to get the sale price.

beka89 said...

Our Walmart will only take IP's if they scan correctly the first try. If they scan it and it doesn't beep, no luck they hand it back to you. This makes it rather hit or miss to use printed coupons there so I normally don't try to, unless the one really nice cashier who will always try it multiple times (and eventually they always work)is on duty when I come in.

Kristi M. said...

I've always had great success with the walmart closest to me. They are super nice and willing to do anything to make it work.

Sharon said...

Lindsay I cant believe I see someone else with same dumb response about b&w Qs on my laser printer. A manager at Kmart told me that and I had to leave a cart full of items after 2 hours of shopping during DOUBLE COUPON WEEK! They had just accepted mine 10 times already. I was so angry and upset I havent even notified corporate yet, cause I didnt wanna go thru explaing it yet. He said cashiers drawers have been coming up short so they cant take em, I was like HUH? Three days later after I cooled down a little (the last day of sale)I went at a different shift time and no problem.

Coupon Crazies said...

WOW WOW WOW! Did this post come at the right time or what? I went to Wal-Mart last night to use up my .55/1 Reeses q's and the B1G1 q's at the same time. I had 34 q's and 34 items! I was told that they only accept the "One coupon per purchase", when I tried to explain the definition of that term.... he just outright did not want to listen. So the CSM came over and said the exact same thing... so I said well then lets ring them up seperately!! "No, sorry ma'am, one per purchase every 2 hours' WHAT??? Ok so now I was getting furious. I asked them for a copy of the coupon policy and OF COURSE, they didnt have it. So I went out to the car, called the store to find out which real manager was on duty, grabbed my policy and marched back into the store to talk to him.

He STILL said the same thing. So I made a VERY clear point, right now they have the 24 packs of soda on sale and EVERY box has a save $1 now coupon. I said "sir you mean to tell me that if I buy 10 cases of soda, you are only going to allow me to use one of the coupons?" He then walked away to talk to the CSM that I had dealt with before. This will get VERY long, so to sum it up, I got BACK in line to purchase the bars, and then they guy said you can use the B1G1 in conjunction with the .55/1. Wrong again! I was there for 2 hours until they got it right, and it did take the ONLY female checker in the store to figure it out. I got there at 9:45pm, and my reciept time is 11:52!

I cant wait to get on the phone and call the store manager, and corporate.

Becky said...

Coupon Crazies...I hear ya. I was in line for over 30 minutes while they tried to tell me that I could only use my $.25 coupon for charmin on the items listed on the picture. I all knowingly told them you don't go by what is on the picture unless the words state on the coupon "as listed" or "as pictured." Needless to say I am NEVER shopping at Walmart with coupons ever again. I think all of us KCL should all band and just stop shopping at Walmart altogether. They suck!

Coupon Crazies said...

Seriously... I am debating on calling or going in personally to speak with the store manager. I am furious about what happenned! Not ONLY over the coupons, but how long it took to get it cleared up, and the attitudes of the employees. Made me feel like a criminal... (who knows coupons laws) haha...

Polly said...

I have done two things to insure success at WM.
1) When my color ink jet printer died, we bought a wonderful desktop laser jet printer. The black printing is clear and I have had NO problems with IPs not scanning.
2)When a cashier is clearly ignorant of wording or coupons in general. I politely ask that the item in question be taken off. Then when all is said and done, I go directly to the store manager or asst manager, explain, show my coupon and I generally get what I want. The key is to remain calm. The manager then usually talks to the supervisor and the info trickles down to the cashiers.
BUT...all of this can be recended at any time. Corp leaves it up to each store.

Penny said...

I sent a question to corporate about matching competitor's coupons and the answer was a big, fat, hairy NO! So, I was surprised to see this. Aside from that, I have never had any trouble using coupons or comping prices at Walmart... but I stay away from the Devil in the Blue Vest as often as possible and do most of my shopping at other places.

Robert said...

I work swing shift and I go shopping at 11:00PM at night. I have not had any problems using my coupons at Walmart in Meridian. I shop at Walmart every other Friday. I have a favorite (young man college student) cashier who knows me and he pushes my coupons through. I find that it's not as stressful as shopping during the day. Dawn

Coupon Crazies said...

My main problem was that every male in that store was ignorant that night... and thruly thinks that "One coupon per purchase" truly means one coupon per shopping trip AND they only allow it every 2 hours!!

How would the manufacturers handle this? Do they only want the stores allowing 1 coupon at a time?

Also, I watched a lady (whom I know from my coupon class) about 30 minutes after me, she came through with a cart full of items, and used MANY multiple coupons with NO problems. And yes... they did state "one coupon per purchase" I am at a loss right now with Wal-Mart, and still havent heard back from management!

thekatsmeow said...

Just thought I'd share that I just got an email from Walmart asking for clarification of the "store coupons" section and posted their response on my blog. You are welcome to link to it if you'd like.

Kathleen
Scrappin' Through Life With Kat
http://kathleendriggers.blogspot.com